Rss Feed Tweeter button Facebook button Technorati button Reddit button Linkedin button Webonews button Delicious button Digg button Flickr button Stumbleupon button Newsvine button

A Waage Blog

Ruby, Rails, Life

Facebook base64 url decode for signed_request

with 9 comments

I ran into a problem as I was trying to decode and parse the Facebook signed_request for their new Registration plugin (

Folowing the PHP example, I attempted to decode and read the signed_request returned by Facebook. Unfortunately, it seemed like the decoded JSON returned was malformed! It was missing the end hash character “}”. This may not happen in all cases, but the reason is due to the padding in Base64 encoding (See Base64 for URLs in Wikipedia).

To account for the padding in Base64, I used the following helper method to do the base64_url_decode. Hope it helps someone else trying to base64 decode Facebook’s signed_request in Ruby on Rails!:

def base64_url_decode(str)
   str += '=' * (4 - str.length.modulo(4))

Notice there’s two things that must happen before decoding the string:

1. Pad the encoded string with “=”
  2. Replace the character ‘-’ with ‘+’, and ‘_’ with ‘/’

I wish Facebook mentioned this clearly on their API !

Written by Andrew Waage

February 8th, 2011 at 1:27 pm

9 Responses to 'Facebook base64 url decode for signed_request'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Facebook base64 url decode for signed_request'.

1. Thanks, this helped up debug and solve this nasty problem. I agree with you. Facebook should be more clear about this. And thanks again.

16 Feb 11 at 8:18 pm

2. Wow. That only took me a complete day of wasted time until I found your post. Many, many THANKS! Re-inserting hair follicles now.

13 Apr 11 at 7:29 am

3. I am not techie– How do i pad encoded string with “=” when i have bulk of URLs to decode?

25 Aug 11 at 1:39 am

4. Thanks. Just what I needed to make it work.

8 Dec 11 at 5:23 am

5. @chris – You can run all your URLs through the method defined above in the post. This handles decoding properly, including padding the string with “=” -Andrew

Andrew Waage

8 Dec 11 at 9:42 am

6. I think add line it work.
    def decode_data str
    encoded_sig, payload = str.split(’.')
    data = ActiveSupport::JSON.decode base64_url_decode(payload)

referent :

14 Mar 12 at 4:03 am

7. You Rock. Thanks alot!

Ali Anwar

4 May 12 at 2:51 am

8. Ok, I can stop going completely crazy now.

I noticed that those characters – + and _ / and the = at the end were different, but I could not for the life of me find any reference until now about whether they were just part of the signature or some random characters or whatever… I just spent four unbillable hours trying to work this out.

Thanks for posting this.

Just for my own curiosity, are these characters commonly swapped out when you’re dealing with crypto base64 encoding/decoding or is it simply something that facebook did? If it’s a facebook thing, what’s the chance they’ll eventually “fix” it and break everyone’s apps?

31 May 12 at 5:23 pm

9. I would add something to this- the “payload” string could need more than just a = symbol on the end because of the padding problem you can lose one or two } symbols. So when you roll through adding padding to the payload, make sure only the last symbol is = and any that come before are } symbols. Maybe it won’t work every time, but it works for me and the json data is more parseable.

31 May 12 at 9:37 pm